Sunday, August 14, 2022
Home Health Health Australian War Memorial's $500m redevelopment clears final hurdle despite wave of public...

Australian War Memorial’s $500m redevelopment clears final hurdle despite wave of public opposition

Exterior of the proposed changes to Anzac Hall
Anzac Hall is set to be demolished after the expansion was given the green light.(Supplied: AWM

A controversial $500 million plan to renovate and expand the Australian War Memorial (AWM) has been given approval for early works, despite an influx of public submissions against the project.

The redevelopment was first proposed in 2018 and has since attracted the criticism of architects and heritage advocates, who have slammed it as “wasteful” and “arrogant”.

The memorial’s director last year defended the renovation which would see the 20-year-old Anzac Hall replaced with a new gallery space and the removal of more than 100 trees. 

This morning, the National Capital Authority (NCA) — tasked with granting the project’s final approval — cleared the way for early works to begin. 

Aerial shot of the Australian War Memorial
What the proposed Australian War Memorial would look like from the sky.(Supplied: The Australian War Memorial )

Public consultation generated most submissions in NCA’s history

The multi-million-dollar proposal was put to the public for consultation in April this year.

The NCA’s chief executive Sally Barnes said the public consultation process received 601 submissions — the most in the authority’s history.

“Most people who put in submissions did not support the project overall … they did raise issues, including the need for the expansion and the cost,” Ms Barnes said.

“There were questions raised about tree removal, and whether the tree removals were in line with the National Capital Plan, and of course, landscapes for us are really important.

“We’ve put some conditions in the approval that [the War Memorial] must increase the number of trees that will be on that site at the end of the works.”

After the consultation process closed, the NCA demanded further information from the War Memorial on its plan to remove and replace native trees surrounding the memorial.

Woman wearing a suit jacket and glasses looks at various pages in a park.
Chief executive of the National Capital Authority Sally Barnes examines public submissions for the AWM’s proposed refurbishment.(ABC News: Tahlia Roy )

In a statement today, the NCA said the AWM would remove 140 trees and retain 455.

The NCA said that the War Memorial must also plant a minimum of 250 additional native trees at the completion of the project.

“With this change noted, the NCA has concluded the proposal is not inconsistent with the National Capital Plan and the works have been approved,” the NCA said. 

Those works also include excavation, the relocation of services and the demolition of Anzac Hall — one of the more controversial works in the proposal. 

Approval a ‘significant milestone’, minister says

Minister for Veterans’ Affairs Darren Chester described today’s announcement as a “significant milestone”.

“This approval will allow for preparation of the area around the site, relocation of some services and progressing with the demolition of Anzac Hall,” Mr Chester said.

“The development has strong community support and the memorial has followed all the due processes in achieving this early works approval.”

The AWM will submit a full landscape plan detailing the species and location for the new trees next year.

Mr Chester said there would be further community consultation about the major works designs in the coming months.

RELATED ARTICLES

Heavy smoke hits Melbourne

Residents advised to close windows It’s been a smokey start to the week for Melbourne residents, with a...

China turns down Russia’s request for aircraft parts supply

Amid a ban by Western companies on supplying aircraft parts to Russia, China has decided not to do so as well.

COVID isolation rules for close contact might be scrapped soon

The Prime Minister believes isolation rules for close contacts of COVID-19 cases are now redundant, as the nation moves to the next...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Melinda Gates recalls decision to leave Bill as her ‘lowest moment in life

Melinda French Gates says the decision to leave her ex-husband Bill Gates was the "lowest moment" in her life. French Gates, 57,...

Abbie Chatfield ‘to replace Carrie Bickmore on her radio show with Tommy Little’ – but will their secret ‘fling’ make things awkward?

Abbie Chatfield is quickly moving up the ranks at Southern Cross Austereo, if industry rumours are to be believed.   

Professor Paul Griffin explains why vaccinated people are ending up in hospital with COVID-19

Since the Omicron and BA.2 subvariants of COVID-19 began to emerge in November 2021, cases of the...

Free live boxing as fists fly at a Melbourne high school

A brawl has between two men erupted outside a western Melbourne high schoolFootage shows the pair trading blows in the street in...

Recent Comments